Please e-mail me on email@example.com or ring me on 01225 425300.
My address is Speaking Infront, Bath Brewery, Toll Bridge Road, Bath, BA1 7DE.
To be kept in contact with course information please sign up to my email list opposite
I trained in Speaking Circles 1999 and in 2003 underwent a further training in Amsterdam. When I first came across speaking circles I did the course about 12 times because I loved it so much. I loved the freedom it gave me and how the course helped build my confidence.
I regularly attend the European Facilitators training days. I’ve run over 300 workshops and I love doing the work.
I’m really motivated by the possibilities that speaking circles open up for people. Once public speaking isn’t a problem - what could people do with their lives?
It means we can become active particpants in this fleeting life rather than self-critical observers. Fundamentally I want to help people get the most out of their lives. So we can take our place without worrying about it: to stand by our father’s coffin and talk about his life or do a best mans’ speech, or thank your hosts, or do a presentation at work or simply serve your audience in a better way.
What better job could I have?
I’m currently working on developing further courses in speaking, life purpose, authentic leadership and leadership presence.
I’m very interested in spreading this work to new people places and to new groups. If you have an interesting idea about where this work could go please don’t hesitate to contact me: eg. hospices, prisons, older people etc. For instance in May 2012 I prepared three people to speak at the Poverty Hearings to a large audience in the Council House Bristol. I am currently working with a group of people recovering from mental illness.
I’m also looking for other projects that are about realising people’s potential and new ways of working around connection and presence. I'm part of the focus group for a worldwide appreciative inquiry project.
training and background
• September 2011 Appreciative Inquiry Coaching Course in Lincoln.
• September 2010 The Fundamentals of Appreciative Inquiry Course in Lincoln. A life-changing course!
• 2010 Spirituality and Leadership course at Woodbrooke Quaker College
• 2010 Leadership in times of Chaos with Margaret Wheatley at Schumacher college
• 2010 attended Transformational Learning Workshop with Michael Carroll
• 2008-9 attended a leadership course run by Common Purpose
• Edited The Spark Magazine since 1993 to August 2008. www.thespark.co.uk. For me, the Speaking Circles approach is a great way of putting into practice the values that lie behind the magazine.
• Two year Diploma in Group Facilitation IDHP.
• Diploma in Health Education.• Devised Training for HEA drugs pack
• trained as a counsellor at BADAS• Honours Degree from Keele University
• a proud holder of a Bus Conductors Certificate.
• I also have explored photography since I was 12. (See also the pannel on the right)
I’ve been working in Bristol for over 25 years and have just moved to Bath.
I am married to Clare who is wonderful and has supported me like no other person. We were both born in the same hospital in Huddersfield but only met in Bristol years later!
My life was changed when my mother committed suicide four days after my 21st birthday. She didn’t find her mission or her place in life and in many ways couldn’t cope with what life had to bring. She was also addicted to tranquilisers which added to the confusion. So my work around The Spark Magazine and public speaking has its foundation in helping people find ways to change. So her death although incredibly painful for me at the time has brought forth a transformative energy through my work. Its now thirty years ago since she died and my work isn’t about death or bereavement - it's about the incredible gift of life and what we can do with it. For this reason helping people take their place in the world is at the heart of my work.